Sunday, December 8, 2019 — Mike Teel
REASON FOR CHRISTMAS: A Time for Salvation
FOCAL PASSAGE: Luke 2:8-14...
And there were shepherds living out in the fields nearby, keeping watch over their flocks at night. 9 An angel of the Lord appeared to them, and the glory of the Lord shone around them, and they were terrified. 10 But the angel said to them, “Do not be afraid. I bring you good news that will cause great joy for all the people. 11 Today in the town of David a Savior has been born to you; he is the Messiah, the Lord. 12 This will be a sign to you: You will find a baby wrapped in cloths and lying in a manger.” 13 Suddenly a great company of the heavenly host appeared with the angel, praising God and saying, 14 “Glory to God in the highest heaven, and on earth peace to those on whom his favor rests.”
JESUS CAME TO SAVE US
· Salvation is typically defined as deliverance from sin, self, & hell.
· Ephesians 2:10
· God’s gift of true salvation is three dimensional. It includes your past, your present and your future. Jesus saves you from something . . .for something . . .by something.
JESUS CAME TO SAVE FROM SIN AND SELF
· Ecclesiastes 7:20 (NLT)
· Romans 3:23
· I John 1:8-10 (NLT)
· Sin is habit forming. The more we do it, the easier it gets.
· Romans 7:15-17 (NLT)
SALVATION IS FREEDOM
· Another word for salvation is “freedom.” Psalm 118:5 (NCV)
· From what does Jesus offer to set us free?
1. FREE FROM GUILT OVER THE PAST
2. FREE FROM BITTERNESS AND RESENTMENT
3. FREE FROM EXPECTATIONS OF OTHERS
4. FREE FROM ADDICTIVE HABITS
5. FREE FROM THE FEAR OF DEATH
6. FREE US FOR A PURPOSE
LIVE IT OUT
> Do you know for certain that if you died today, you would go to heaven?
> What do you need to do to experience the freedom that is found in Christ?
> How can you be purposeful this Christmas season?