Through the vision of God’s people at Calvary Baptist Church in Lawton and under the influence and leadership of the Holy Spirit, a group of faithful servants began a new work in west Lawton near Cameron University campus. The century was not yet half complete, the world was at unrest having just moved away from World War II and the future, at best, was uncertain. Little did this group know what God had in store for the new mission, now Cameron Baptist Church.
We began meeting in a tarpaper-covered building. On June 7, 1948 the mission was organized into a church with forty-eight charter members. We voted to call Rev. Bert York as our first Pastor.
Soon, an old barracks was added to accommodate the already growing membership. The new congregation voted immediately to start a building fund and on June 4, 1950, the first sanctuary was dedicated.
In 1954, additional education space was constructed. Bro. York resigned on February 27, 1955 and Rev. Andrew G Allen was called as the second Pastor to Cameron on June 1, 1955. He spent less than one year at Cameron, leaving April 15, 1956.
In October 1959, Rev. Dan Pruitt was called as Pastor and under his leadership, we began to again experience growth. Under his direction, another building program was launched. A new sanctuary was dedicated in 1960. A second floor was included in the structure and provided much needed Sunday School space. The original worship center was then used for a fellowship hall and for adult Sunday school classes.
In 1962, once again the Cameron Fellowship was called on to sacrificially provide additional preschool and young people’s classrooms. This area presently houses the church library and choir suite, and previously housed the preschool and children’s areas.
In 1967, the present worship facility was constructed. The former worship area was converted to adult Bible study space. Bro. Pruitt moved to Henrietta, Oklahoma in April 1971.
In June, the church called Rev. Hoyt Aduddell as Pastor and Cameron continued to grow! In 1978, the new Family Life Center was dedicated. Bro. Mike Teel was called as Student Pastor to help target students of Lawton, OK. In September 1979, Bro Aduddell accepted a call to a sister church in Tulsa.
Bro. Bob Jones was called as the church’s sixth pastor on February 3, 1980. Under his guidance, we launched an aggressive building plan. In 1983, a complete renovation was done of all previously built education facilities and the building of a preschool wing was achieved.
Cameron Baptist has been involved in a major building project every six and a half years.
The year 2003 brought with it additional challenges. In the summer, construction was started on a three-story educational building. Bible study classes had met on Cameron University campus and down in the Baptist Student Union. The new structure was designed to provide 60,000 square feet of new space for Bible study classes for all ages and to unite the entire church body.
Finally, in December 2004, the Education Center was completed. This new building houses the Preschool ministry on the first floor. Children and Married adult ministries on the second floor. The third floor houses our single’s ministry along with our Celebrate Recovery ministry.
In 2008, Cameron began construction of a new Fellowship Center thanks to a generous contribution. This facility along with the Discipleship center sit where C Ave once ran between the Worship Center and the Family Life Center. Construction was completed in November 2010.
Reaching out to the Lawton community has and continues to be the heartbeat of Cameron Baptist Church. This has been demonstrated in a great way with the first ever “Beautiful Feet” award presented to Bro. Bob at the 2006 Oklahoma Evangelism Conference for outstanding evangelism.
Rev. Bob Jones retired after 33 years on October 6th, 2013. Rev. Mike Teel became Senior Pastor upon his retirement.
The faith of our founding fathers is the same faith that carries our church into the future. We invite you to join us in being a part of this rich legacy!