Sunday, October 21, 2018—Mike Teel, Pastor
FAMILY MATTERS: Growth Matters! Multiplication
FOCAL PASSAGE: Luke 10:25-28 (NIV)
Two very important questions that put going to heaven in perspective...
Have you come to the place in your spiritual life where you know for certain that if you died today, you would go to heaven? Or is that something you would say you are still working on?
Suppose you did die today and stood before God and He said to you, “Why should I let you into heaven? What would you say?”
Why we cannot earn our way into heaven . . .
HEAVEN WAS MEANT TO BE A GIFT
1. HEAVEN IS A FREE GIFT. Romans 6:23 (KJV)
2. IT CANNOT BE EARNED OR DESERVED. Ephesians 2:8-9 (KJV)
WE ARE DEFILED
1. MAN IS A SINNER. Romans 3:23 (KJV)
2. THEREFORE CANNOT SAVE HIMSELF. Matthew 5:48 (KJV)
WHO IS GOD?
1. GOD IS MERCIFUL – therefore He does not want to punish us. I
John 4:8b (KJV)
2. GOD IS JUST – therefore He must punish sin.
Exodus 34:7b (KJV)
GOD SOLVED THIS PROBLEM IN THE PERSON OF JESUS CHRIST.
1. WHO IS THIS JESUS?
The infinite God-Man. John 1:1, 14a (KJV)
2. WHAT HE DID
He died on the cross and rose from the dead to pay the penalty for our sin and to purchase a place in heaven for us. Isaiah 53:6
THIS GIFT IS RECEIVED BY FAITH
1. WHAT SAVING FAITH IS NOT . . .
Mere intellectual assent – head knowledge. James 2:19 (KJV)
Mere temporal (temporary) faith.
2. WHAT SAVING FAITH IS . . .
Trusting Jesus Christ alone for your salvation. Acts 16:31 (KJV)
LIVE IT OUT
Does this make sense to you?
Would you like to receive the gift of Eternal Life this morning?