Sunday, February 10, 2019—Mike Teel, Pastor
FATAL DISTRACTIONS: Get Off the Pride Ride
FOCAL PASSAGE: Luke 18:9-14
SELF-ESTEEM OR SELF-CONCEIT?
1. OUR STRUGGLE
2. PRIDE’S ORIGIN
To understand more about pride, we need to go way back before Adam and Eve and take a look at Lucifer (otherwise known as Satan).
Let’s take a few moments to examine THE POISON OF PRIDE:
DAMAGING OUR RELATIONSHIP WITH GOD
Pride makes us feel good, and we don’t see where it will lead us. It damages our relationship with God little by little.
1. How much interest do you have in worshiping God?
2. What are you including in your prayers?
3. How involved are you in ministry at your church?
4. Giving God the glory
DAMAGING OUR RELATIONSHIP WITH PEOPLE
1. How do you respond when someone hurts you?
2. Do you manipulate others to make yourself look good?
3. Do you find that you are talking about yourself a lot, rather than being interested in what others are doing?
GET OFF THE PRIDE RIDE
1. FIRST CLASS PASSENGERS
2. GET OFF THE PRIDE RIDE
The result of PRIDE is always discontent.
Peter calls us to clothe ourselves in humility... I Peter 5:5-7
How do we clothe ourselves with humility?
> Spend time daily worshipping God.
> We need to thank God and appreciate His workmanship.
> We need to get immersed in ministry.
LIVE IT OUT
> Understand, that pride could prevent us from spending eternity with the Lord.
> How can you spend time daily worshiping God?
> What ministry is God calling you to invest your time, talents and treasures in?