Sunday, January 6, 2019—Mike Teel, Pastor
MARGINAL or MAXIMUM CHRISTIANITY:
Three Duties—Fasting & Praying
FOCAL PASSAGE: Matthew 6:1-9, 16-18
THE CALL TO FAST AND PRAY
1. DOES GOD WANT US TO FAST?
2. THE CALL TO PUBLICLY FAST
Jehoshaphat, King of Judah– II Chronicles 20:3-4,13
Esther – Esther 4:15-17
King of Nineveh – Jonah 3:7
BENEFITS OF FASTING AND PRAYER
1. FASTING PREPARES US FOR NEW SEASONS OF LIFE
Moses fasted before he received the law – Exodus 24
Jesus fasted prior to the start of His earthly ministry – Matthew 4
Paul fasted before the start of his missionary ministry – Acts 13
2. FASTING GIVES US GREATER AWARENESS OF GOD’S PRESENCE
· Isaiah 58:8-9a
3. FASTING HELPS US DISCERN GOD’S WILL AND BREAK SATAN’S GRIP
· Daniel 10:1-14
When you fast you are going to see God show up in the midst of your situation.
The reward is worth the struggle.
4. FASTING HELPS SECURE FAVOR IN SITUATIONS
Nehemiah 1:4, 11
PRAYER AND FASTING CHALLENGE
1. Sometime during the month of January, fast in one of several ways: meal, sundown, day (24 hours), 3 days, 7 days, 14 days or 21 days or more.
2. Fast, asking God to anoint our church for the year 2019, to see numerous people come to saving faith and our church members to begin to use their spiritual gifts for God’s glory and to fulfill our three Firm Foundations!
LIVE IT OUT
> Will you be a marginal or a maximum Christian in 2019?
> What is God saying to you this morning about prayer and fasting? What do you need to do in response to His speaking to you?
> Is there some spiritual step you need to take before starting your time of fasting and prayer?