KNOW CHRIST PERSONALLY: The Pathway of Salvation IV
KNOW > GROW > GO
“WE DESIRE ALL PEOPLE TO KNOW CHRIST PERSONALLY; GROW IN CHRIST PURPOSEFULLY; AND, GO WITH CHRIST PASSIONATELY.”
Focal Passages: I John 5:12-13 … 12 Whoever has the Son has life; whoever does not have the Son of God does not have life. 13 I write these things to you who believe in the name of the Son of God so that you may know that you have eternal life.
HOW CAN WE KNOW FOR SURE WE ARE SAVED?
THE MEANING OF WORD SALVATION
THE EXPERIENCE OF SALVATION
1. GOD’S PLAN
2. MISTAKEN PLAN
3. FOUR IMPORTANT PHASES in the EXPERIENCE of SALVATION
There are four important phases in the experience of salvation.
· There are two sides to salvation: The divine side and the human side; God’s side and man’s side.
· I John 3:7-10 … 7 Dear children, do not let anyone lead you astray. The one who does what is right is righteous, just as he is righteous. 8 The one who does what is sinful is of the devil, because the devil has been sinning from the beginning. The reason the Son of God appeared was to destroy the devil’s work. 9 No one who is born of God will continue to sin, because God’s seed remains in them; they cannot go on sinning, because they have been born of God. 10 This is how we know who the children of God are and who the children of the devil are: Anyone who does not do what is right is not God’s child, nor is anyone who does not love their brother and sister.
Two important elements in conversion:
· The experience of salvation is more than conversion, a turning away from sin, and a turning to the Lord Jesus Christ.
· The story of the Prodigal Son – Luke 15:22-24 … 22 “But the father said to his servants, ‘Quick! Bring the best robe and put it on him. Put a ring on his finger and sandals on his feet. 23 Bring the fattened calf and kill it. Let’s have a feast and celebrate. 24 For this son of mine was dead and is alive again; he was lost and is found.’ So they began to celebrate.
· Romans 5:1-2 … 1 Therefore, since we have been justified through faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ, 2 through whom we have gained access by faith into this grace in which we now stand. And we boast in the hope of the glory of God.
· God not only forgives and justifies the believer, He adopts him into His family and makes him His own child.
· Ephesians 1:4-5 … 4 For he chose us in him before the creation of the world to be holy and blameless in his sight. In love 5 he predestined us for adoption to sonship through Jesus Christ, in accordance with his pleasure and will—
· NATURAL: Birth (explore & develop); Childhood (obedience); Young adult / Teenager (trust); Adulthood (reproduction)
· NEW BIRTH - John 3:3 … 3 Jesus replied, “Very truly I tell you, no one can see the kingdom of God unless they are born again.”
· CHILDHOOD - I Peter 2:2 … 2 Like newborn babies, crave pure spiritual milk, so that by it you may grow up in your salvation,
· YOUNG ADULT / TEENAGER - II Peter 3:18 … 18 But grow in the grace and knowledge of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. To him be glory both now and forever! Amen.
· ADULTHOOD - Ephesians 4:13-14 … 13 until we all reach unity in the faith and in the knowledge of the Son of God and become mature, attaining to the whole measure of the fullness of Christ. 14 Then we will no longer be infants, tossed back and forth by the waves, and blown here and there by every wind of teaching and by the cunning and craftiness of people in their deceitful scheming.
SOME TRUTHS ABOUT SALVATION
1. FREE GIFT – Romans 6:23 … 23 For the wages of sin is death, but the gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord.
· CANNOT BE EARNED – Ephesians 2:8-9 … 8 For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith—and this is not from yourselves, it is the gift of God— 9 not by works, so that no one can boast.
· We are not saved by our good works, but FOR good works.
· PRICE WAS PAID BY CHRIST – Isaiah 53:5-6 … 5 But he was pierced for our transgressions, he was crushed for our iniquities; the punishment that brought us peace was on him, and by his wounds we are healed. 6 We all, like sheep, have gone astray, each of us has turned to our own way; and the Lord has laid on him the iniquity of us all.
2. IT IS A PERSONAL, INDIVIDUAL EXPERIENCE
A. PERSONAL – God does not deal with people as families or groups. Romans 14:12 … 12 So then, each of us will give an account of ourselves to God.
B. SOUL COMPETENCY & SOUL FREEDOM – The individual is capable of making decisions pertaining to God for themselves. Joshua 24:15 … 15 But if serving the Lord seems undesirable to you, then choose for yourselves this day whom you will serve, whether the gods your ancestors served beyond the Euphrates, or the gods of the Amorites, in whose land you are living. But as for me and my household, we will serve the Lord.”
3. THREE FOLD EXPERIENCE
· INITIAL EXPERIENCE – Regeneration: Ephesians 2:5,8 … 5made us alive with Christ even when we were dead in transgressions—it is by grace you have been saved. 8 for it is by grace you have been saved, through faith—and this is not from yourselves, it is the gift of God—
· A GROWING EXPERIENCE – Sanctification: Philippians 2:12 … 12 Therefore, my dear friends, as you have always obeyed—not only in my presence, but now much more in my absence—continue to work out your salvation with fear and trembling,
· A CULMINATING EXPERIENCE – Glorification: Romans 5:9 … 9 Since we have now been justified by his blood, how much more shall we be saved from God’s wrath through him!
LIVE IT OUT
God’s plan is for everyone to be saved!
Do you know Christ personally as a result of a Biblical salvation experience?
How do others know you have been saved?