Sunday, April 29, 2018—Mike Teel, Pastor
SPIRITUAL DISCIPLINES THAT GIVE DIRECTION
Discipline Of How To Fast
FOCAL PASSAGE: Matthew 6:1, 5, 16-18
HOW TO PROCEED
1. DETERMINE THE MOTIVE FOR THE FAST (Why are you fasting?)
Ezra 8:21 (NKJV)
2. DETERMINE THE TYPE OF FAST
A. Food Fast – Luke 4:1-2
B. Absolute Fast – Exodus 34:28
C. Partial Daniel-Type Fast – Daniel 10:3
D. Juice Fast
E. Sundown or Fast
F. Alternative Fast
Intimacy I Corinthians 7:3-6
Things that have taken control of your life in a destructive way:
Joshua 6:18 (KJV); Acts 15:29
3. DETERMINE THE DURATION OF THE FAST
One Day Fast – II Samuel 3:35
One Night or 24 Hour Fast – Daniel 6:18
Three Day Fast – Esther 4:16
Seven Day Fast – I Samuel 31:13
40 Day Fast – Exodus 34:28; Matthew 4:2
THE PATTERN OF THE FAST
1. The Launch – Jeremiah 36:6 (NKJV)
2. Evening Retirement… Bed Time – Proverbs 18:15a
3. Morning Wake Up Time – Psalm 9:1; 119:27; 119:11 (NKJV)
4. Normal Daily Duties – Ephesians 5:18b - 19 (NKJV)
5. Resume Eating
In the next several weeks, would you select a motivation you would like to fast about and then select a time and duration for you to actually fast.
Start with small steps. Do not try a 21 day fast to begin with.
LIVE IT OUT
> Fasting will not be beneficial if you do not have a relationship with Christ.
> What issue(s) in your life do you need to fast for?
> Will you seek God and determine how He might lead you to join others from our church in fasting for the furtherance of the Kingdom of God?