Sunday, December 20, 2015
“Bring Your Gifts” -Mike Teel, Pastor
Focal Passage: Matthew 2:1-2, 9-11
After Jesus was born in Bethlehem in Judea, during the time of King Herod, Magi from the east came to Jerusalem 2 and asked, “Where is the one who has been born king of the Jews? We saw his star when it rose and have come to worship him.” 9 After they had heard the king, they went on their way, and the star they had seen when it rose went ahead of them until it stopped over the place where the child was. 10 When they saw the star, they were overjoyed. 11 On coming to the house, they saw the child with his mother Mary, and they bowed down and worshiped him. Then they opened their treasures and presented him with gifts of gold, frankincense and myrrh.
How We Give – SINCERELY
· Lordship means He is our boss.
· I Corinthians 6:19-20
The Way We Give – MEANINGFULLY
Think about the meaning of the gifts the wise men brought to the Christ child.
Gifts for future use.
1. GOLD: Symbol of KINGSHIP
· Revelation 17:14
2. FRANKINCENSE: A Symbol of a PRIEST
· The word Priest means “bridge builder” and represents the fact that Jesus came to be our high priest.
· Hebrews 4:14-16
3. MYRRH: Symbol of DEATH and SACRIFICE
· Myrrh was a precious spice, but its main use was in the embalming of the dead.
4. Our LIVES: Symbol of a MEANINGFUL Gift
· Give God your best.
The Motivation of our Giving– GRACEFULLY
· I John 4:19
· Romans 5:8
LIVE IT OUT
1. Will you be a Wise Man (person) today?
2. How will you give sincerely, meaningfully and gracefully to Christ this Christmas?