Sunday, March 13, 2016
THE CUP OF THE CROSS!
—Mike Teel, Pastor
Focal Passages: Matthew 26:26-29, 36-45
This morning I want you to see . . .
The APROACH Of The Cup
1) James’ and John’s appointment to places of honor in the Kingdom of God
2) Notice the theme of the Cup at the Last Supper —Matthew 26:27-28
3) The Garden Experience —Matthew 26:36-45
The CONTENT Of The Cup
1) The Cup of Suffering and Physical Abuse
2) The Cup of Spiritual Suffering
The Cup COMPLETED
1) One Last Statement From the Cross —John 19:28-30
Notice a couple of last thoughts:
Knowing everything had now been finished and so that Scripture would be fulfilled. (Need to die so His legs would not be broken to hasten death.)
Our sins had separated Jesus from His Heavenly Father just as before our sins had separated us from God.
Forgiveness had been extended to the repentant thief on the cross.
God’s will for Jesus to drink the cup of suffering and sin is being accomplished -- I Thirst! (I Am Thirsty) Reflect back to the Garden of Gethsemane. Not my will but yours! The Spirit is willing but the flesh is weak.
The penalty, the cost of sin – “Death” was about to be paid: Tetelesti (Garden of Eden – if you eat of this fruit you will surely die!)
2) What does all this mean to us when we come together to celebrate the Lord’s Supper?
Jesus gave His self physically for us – the broken body.
He paid the price of sin (death) by shedding His blood for us.
LIVE IT OUT
1) Have you allowed Jesus to become the Savior of your life?
2)What do you need Jesus to cleanse you of today?