Sunday, April 24, 2016
I DESERVED CONDEMNATION BUT HE GAVE ME MERCY
—Mike Teel, Pastor
Focal Passages: John 8:2-11
2At dawn he appeared again in the temple courts, where all the people gathered around him, and he sat down to teach them. 3The teachers of the law and the Pharisees brought in a woman caught in adultery. They made her stand before the group 4and said to Jesus, “Teacher, this woman was caught in the act of adultery. 5In the Law Moses commanded us to stone such women. Now what do you say?” 6They were using this question as a trap, in order to have a basis for accusing him. But Jesus bent down and started to write on the ground with his finger. 7When they kept on questioning him, he straightened up and said to them, “Let any one of you who is without sin be the first to throw a stone at her.” 8Again he stooped down and wrote on the ground. 9At this, those who heard began to go away one at a time, the older ones first, until only Jesus was left, with the woman still standing there. 10Jesus straightened up and asked her, “Woman, where are they? Has no one condemned you?” 11“No one, sir,” she said. “Then neither do I condemn you,” Jesus declared. “Go now and leave your life of sin.”
We’ve All Been CAUGHT!
· How many of you honestly, have been caught doing something wrong?
· In our story we have a woman who was caught in a very uncomfortable situation ---she deserved condemnation.
We All DESERVE Condemnation!
· Let’s Examine the Account From Scripture
· Voices of Condemnation
· Can You Imagine the Shame?
· The Penalty
Jesus’ RESPONSE To Condemnation
· Be Sure, Your Sins Will Find You Out!
· Only the Perfect Can Cast Stones
· The Mercy of God
YOU ARE NOT WHAT YOU DID!
YOU ARE NOT WHO OTHERS SAY YOU ARE!
· Personal Responsibility
LIVE IT OUT
1. What do you need to leave behind so you can “go and leave your life of sin?”
2. Would you like to have the light of the world in your life today?